Tuesday, October 27, 2009

That was the week that was

Did you know that we have just had Customer Service Week? And soon it will Family Learning Week? We will also be celebrating Global Entrepreneurship Week. I seem to have missed Chocolate Week (12th October) although I am looking forward to Farmhouse Breakfast Week (24th Jan 2010) and National Curry Week (22nd November). I'm also already clearing a month in my diary for National Bed Month, next March, although whether my long suffering employers will allow me a duvet month remains to be seen. There are a few which do not appeal - National Be Nice To Nettles Week (I kid you not - see www.nettles.org.uk - 19th May 2010) and World Maths week, to name but two.
From doughnuts to cancer research, owls to head lice, doodling to kidneys, there is a day, a week, or a month for almost everything you could possibly think of, and quite a few you probably couldn't. And as a dutiful librarian I do a display, get some books, organise a workshop, put up posters, but I can't help thinking, when is our week? Perhaps you have one already - if so let me know!
Yes we have storytelling week, World Book Day, poetry day, but none of them quite sum up what a wondrous place your library is! Other countries have library weeks - we should have one too! Write to the MLA! Write to CILIP! Write to your MP! Let's have a Library Week!
And for all you people from veggies to bacon lovers, science nuts and weathermen, gardeners and coffee-morning-cookie-cutters, it's payback time - we put your posters up, time for you to return the favour!

No comments:

Post a Comment