Friday, October 23, 2009

Get your fix here!

My name is Dorothea, and I'm addicted to....books. Not the most fashionable addiction, you will agree - I don't go to parties and swap books in the toilet (though I have been known to read books at a party). Kate Moss is seldom snapped leaving a nightclub with a book under her arm. And yet everyone has their vice, and books are mine. I'm not alone in this, either. Many of my regulars have the tell-tale glint in the eye and fevered brow when their favourite author has a new one on the horizon. Many a borrower has said to me "I can't get through the weekend without one." A future without reading matter is bleak indeed. This explains why many an addict has a stockpile, just in case.
I am not ashamed to say that I am a dealer too - my job means that I can store a choice one under the counter for my best customers "on the house" - a prime cut of the latest mind-bending fiction. Time-travel? A panacea for an aching soul? Uppers? Downers? Just to pass the timers? Get them all here!
Like all addictions, it is best started young for maximum impact. I wouldn't rule out the school gates. Even the cradle. You see, the more people who get addicted to books, the better. It's good for you. Even doctors are prescribing them now, and libraries are the dispensaries.
Next time you need a fix, see your librarian. We are fully qualified to diagnose and offer a tailored solution. Can't do your homework? This book might help. Long flight? Try this thriller. Nothing on the telly? This might pass the time.
Go to your library. Speak to an expert. It's a lot cheaper than hanging around on street corners.
And librarians, share your passion. There is plenty to go around.

No comments:

Post a Comment