Monday, September 28, 2009

Borrow a book "wherever you are"

So, how long was it before someone came into your local library this morning, produced a library card from a different local authority and attempted to borrow books on it because "they said on the telly you could do it"? My first one happened at 10.21. Patiently, I explained that all I could do was accept their library card as ID and issue them with one of our own library cards. No problem, of course, but my borrower did seem a tad disappointed that we didn't have an all singing, all dancing "One card fits all" system. The idea of making libraries accessible to all is fine, upstanding and laudable but I do wish the Society of Chief Librarians would take a bit more care when putting out press releases and not create the impression that we are offering one kind of service when it's really another. Perhaps the spin doctors just got carried away. We're all politicians now ...

1 comment:

  1. Took until only the morning after the press-release for a genius to try it here! Like you, and, no doubt, the rest of the Bookstampers Army, I patiently explained the situation...to be met with a fixed "I know my rights" stare, a challenging thrust of the proffered ticket, and a muttered accompaniment from the spouse sheltering behind the challenger!Can barely wait for the next one to come along!

    ReplyDelete