Monday, September 21, 2009

Acronym?

As you know, modern life is full of strange abbreviations, and it takes us all a while to get used to them. I'm still trying to work out what that young man from the photocopying company means when he puts LOL after his messages about our broken down machine. And I still have to bite back the urge to slap people when they they say PIN number - "IT STANDS FOR..." Ooh deep breath anyway.

A lady came in today with her elderly MIL (Mother-in-Law) and asked if we did videos anymore. Rather proud for once I said that we did not and now that the world has moved to MP4 and HD, libraries were still using those silver shiny things that will also no doubt soon be obsolete, but we had at least got rid of videos. Except fishing ones. Fishermen still have videos. I find this rather comforting. Anyway a few minutes later said MIL came to counter.

"My VD's not working yet love", she said "but it should be up and running soon, so I've come out to get something for it." Call me old-fashioned, and many people have, but the first thing that leaps to mind when someone says VD, is, well, VD. Was there perhaps a new virus going about that was set to a timer, and this poor lady was desperately seeking a cure before it started to work? And why come to the library? The nearest I could get to a cure for syphilis was a mercury thermometer.

"Will this work?" she said, and put a DVD case on the counter. "Er, yes" I said, with relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment