Friday, January 29, 2010

Guilty secrets

Was saddened to hear of the death of JD Salinger - his "Catcher in the Rye" has long been a staple book among young people and students especially. They generally come in on a Friday tea time to borrow the book so they can read it and hand that long overdue essay in on the following Monday morning, and then bring the book back complete with notes in the margins. We also had the odd earnest teenager who would request it and then renew it endlessly, and who always hated giving it up to another student. (I won't mention the one or two who borrow the York notes instead of the text itself. I frown at them!)
I have to confess to a slight sense of guilt here, for I have not read it. I'm sure every reader has one or two of these up their sleeves - books you think you should read but inexplicably haven't. Anyone with a love of reading has that list of stuff they should read, and "Catcher in the Rye" is on mine. Along with "Ulysses" and "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" and anything by Trollope (Anthony, not Joanna), and "Moby Dick"........ and so on and so on. There is a certain amount of snobbery about the so called canon - the books that anyone who claims a love of books should read. But should there be any should about reading - surely it's about enjoyment? If you don't like Jane Austen, well you don't. I don't like caviar, so I don't feel obliged to eat it just because it's expensive and highly thought of.
And yet, and yet....as a librarian I have to admit that I get a certain amount of pleasure when a child asks for "Treasure Island" or "Huck Finn" instead of the latest sub-Potter fantasy book. Or when a teenage girl who you expect to ask for Manga asks for Charlotte Bronte instead.
I'm also at the age when it seems an awfully long time since I read certain things, and some things are surely better a second time around, but how to find the time to re-read, when my to-read heap of books is tottering out of control?
It's about taste, time, inclination, a certain amount of trying stuff out, and the occasional rich indulgence (mine is Georgette Heyer). Bit like eating really. Books are food for the mind, after all.
What is your guilty secret or special pleasure?

No comments:

Post a Comment