Saturday, November 21, 2009

In sickness and in health...

Apologies for the lack of post this last couple of weeks, but I have had shocking news, swiftly followed by surgery to remove said shocking news. I will draw a veil over the details, but suffice to say that books and libraries were not at the forefront of my mind, and may not be for a while. And yet, and yet....I did pack a book in my hospital overnight bag, because it did even then seem essential. And I did enter into an eager conversation with a fellow patient who was reading Grisham - "Bloody awful stuff but it gets you through the night" was the verdict. And I was amused to find a hospital library, even though I did not have cause to use it. I would be pleased and interested to hear from any hospital librarians out there - apart from anything else, what state are the books in - I know what your average public library book has stuck on its pages, so I dread to think what a hospital library book may be like. I am not too young to remember when librarians had to be notified of infectious diseases in their borrowers...
Anyway I will endeavour to keep posting as much as possible - any tips for get well reading, or the importance of books at times of crisis, most welcome.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed audiobooks when I was in hospital. I found it difficult to read as the ward was noisy and I got uncomfortable and my eyes started to ache. So I lay with earphones firmly in, sound up, eyes closed and listened to The Little Stranger, The Lemon Table, Birdsong, War Crimes for the Home and more. A blog you might like to follow is http://hospitalnotes.blogspot.com/ about hospital food. Get well soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Good one on In sickness and in health.I recently found out 1 million children are accidentally poisoned in their homes each year.And also I did find the toxins we use in our home here www.debtfreeliving.healthyhometour.com.I think it's time we all know about the toxins we use.

    Thanks,
    Camilynn

    ReplyDelete