Monday, May 17, 2010

Would you like a book with that?

I was pleased to read that library lending figures have gone up ever so slightly over the last year - if you had asked for my prediction, I would have said that they had gone down, so I am glad (for once) to be wrong. It is however only a tiny increase, so we need to make sure that we are pushing our product, adding value, as they say in the shops, it is a dog eat dog world out there...ok but you get my drift. It used to be very clear what libraries did, and what you could get here. Not so these days - someone came in just the other day and asked where the library was. He seemed surprised to be told he was standing in it. I don't know what he had in mind, but we weren't it (perhaps it's the lack of mahogany shelves and leather chairs). I am all for getting people through the doors by whatever means, and although I profess to be a little dubious about Wii sessions or nail painting, I will try anything once - but we need to make sure that some of the people who have no intention of borrowing a book when they come in, find themselves leaving as proud card carrying library members with a book on manicures to complement the nail art session they just attended.
I am wary of turning us into another high street menace - I really don't want half price chocolate (well actually I do, but that's beside the point) and I don't want people who come to the counter, possibly for the first time in many years, to run howling from the building after being forced to borrow the latest literary bestseller, when all they came in for was a disabled parking badge.
But there is stuff we can do - make it look good: get those shiny paperbacks out front, be enthusiastic, if you have read something good shout about it. Engage!
Now troops, back to your posts, and lend some books!
Any good tips please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment