Monday, March 22, 2010

Bookman's holiday

So, I admit it. Had five days off and ended up visiting another library while I was on holiday. Just can't resist. It's partly out of sheer curiosity - do they wear a uniform? Is it busy? And partly out of a professional interest. I'm not above pinching ideas either - saw a great noticeboard which I intend to copy. There is also a certain amount of comparison to be done - our shelves are nicer/displays better/staff friendlier/books scruffier/carpet messier than yours.
I also like listening to the people they get in and the queries they deal with - I've been to libraries from Stratford to Scarborough, and although you would think there was a vast difference between the big city library and the tourist town, some things are universal. There is usually someone asking for directions to somewhere. There is generally a tramp or several reading a newspaper. Someone gazing at the photocopier in bewilderment. Ah yes, I think, this is familiar.
The technology is intriguing too - I am increasingly seeing self-service terminals springing up, and internet access in various forms (do they charge or is it free?) and wi-fi and hot spots and audio-posts....
What would you pinch and what would you dump from your library? Envious or proud? Jealous or self-satisfied? Or do you never look?

No comments:

Post a Comment